After the massive earthquake of 2072B.s, we suffered from the blockage done by India. You may hear it for the common people: We’ve to reduce our dependence on foreign oil;
Have we got a lesson from the blockage or not? Are our policies change or not? Genuinely, we didn’t get a lesson. The consumption of non-renewable energy is increasing day by day. We say one
Even in factories, they are using diesel to generate electricity. Most hilly regions are still a mile away from accessing the electricity. Where the electricity is available, they are not getting continuous power supply. Even having the world’s second-largest water resources we are unable to produce a sufficient amount of energy for our daily livel
We also have great potential for Solar Energy and wind energy but we don’t really do anything to utilize that. If we do that it was really negligible as compared to resources and necessity. We are unable to use our own available resources, so we suffered a lot from the energy crisis.
Here, in this article I will brief the short term and long term methods to overcome energy crisis.
Short term solution for energy crisis
- Leakage control: It was believed that around 20 to 25% of electrical energy is losses due to leakage so we can control the leakage for the short term solution.
- Use of Alternative energy: Wind energy, solar energy are alternative sources of energy. If the government decrease the taxes on solar panel and on battery required for solar people will get attracted toward the clean energy like solar energy. Also, in the Himalayan parts of Nepal, the velocity of air is suitable for the production of energy if government help and funded on turbine purchases and other instruments then the problem of energy crisis in remote areas will be solved.
- Review of energy Prices: Price is an important factor, that plays a vital role in the consumption of energy. If the price of electrical energy is cheap, obviously people will use more. So, the energy price should be review yearly and must be suitable so that poor class people can also consume.
- Cross border transmission: In Nepal, the production of electrical energy is high and consumption of it is low in the rainy season. For this we can implement a policy like cross border transmission in which when we produce more energy than required we supplied to another country and while we required we take electrical energy from others. This is also one of the short term measures to prevent an energy crisis. In-country like Nepal wherein the summer season the level of water is high so, the production of electricity is also hight. But in the winter season, the production of electricity decreases due to the water level on stream decrease so production is also low. I think this method is one of the best methods. so, that no electricity can get waste.
- Optimization of storage and PROP project: If we increase the storage capacity the production capacity of electricity will be high and the same throughout the year.
Long term solution for the energy crisis
- Storage project: Storage project is long term solution from energy crisis because if we see in the country like Nepal where in summer season the level of water in stream is high so in summer season hydropower produce more amount of energy but in winter the flow of water will decrease and the water height is also decreased so to maintain the power production similar throughout the year storage based project should be given priority.
- Sustainable investment: To overcome the energy crisis problem in the country or in the Asian region we need to focus on sustainable investment. Sustainable projects should be chosen for investment and to get the maximum benefit from the investment.
- South-Asian Pool
List of hydropower projects in Nepal
- Kali Gandaki (144 MW)
- Kulekhani (92MW)
- Marshyandi (69 MW)
- Middle Marshyandi (70 MW)
- Khimti (70 MW)
- Bhotekoshi (36 MW)
- Chilime (22 MW)
- Jhimruk (12 MW)
Join our Facebook group: Engineering Knowledge
Share this article with friends because Sharing is caring. ??