In this article, you will learn the calculation process to find out the quantity of cement sand for plastering.
In engineering practice, we take the following points as reference for plastering work:
- For wall plastering, Cement Mortar Ratio used is 1:6
- For ceiling plastering, Cement Mortar Ratio used is 1:4
- Thickness of plastering should not be more than 12 mm.
- Cement & Sand should be mixed well.
For more information read this article: Tips you need to follow before, during and after plastering walls
To calculate the required quantity of Cement, Sand required for plastering we need to have the following data:
- Thickness of plaster
- Mix-ratio of cement sand
- Area to be plastered
Calculation process for finding the quantity of cement, sand, and water for plastering
For a civil engineer or constructor, it is important to know the exact amount of cement, sand required for plastering purposes before starting work.
Step 1:- Find out the Area to be plastered, thickness and mix ration of cement sand.
- Area of Plaster = 100-meter square (Assumed)
- Thickness of plaster = 12 mm =0.012 m
- Mprtar Mix Ratio → 1:4
Step 2:- Find out Volume to be Plastered
- Volume of plaster = Area of plaster x Thickness of plaster
- Volume of plaster = 100 x 0.012 = 1.2 m³
Add 15-20% extra Quantity for Filling of joints & Wastage.
- Volume of plaster = 1.2 + [ (1.2 x 15) /100 ] = 1.38m³
Since, Dry volume of materials is 53% more than wet volume so,
Dry Volume of material required for plaster = Wet volume x 1.53
- Dry Volume = 1.38 x 1.53 = 2.1114 m³
Step3:- To find Out the Quantity of Cement required for plastering
To find out the quantity of cement required for the plastering purpose it is calculated by:
Quantity of Cement = (Dry Volume of material required for plaster x Cement ratio) / (Sum of the ratio)
- Quantity of cement = (2.1114 x 1) /(1+4)= 0.42228m³
We know that, the Density of Cement = 1440kg/m³
- Weight of Cement = 1440 x 0.42228 = 608.083 Kg
Since, 1 bag of cement contain 50 kg of cements.
- Number of bags = 608.083 Kg/50 = 12.161 No’s which is 13 bags.
Step 4:- To find out the Quantity of Sand required for plastering
Since, our cement and sand ratio is 1:4.
- Total Quantity of Sand required= Quantity of Cement x 4
- Total Quantity of Sand required= 0.42228 m³ x 4 = 1.68912 m³
Note: 1 m³=35.3147 Cubic Feet (CFT)
Total Quantity of sand = 1.68912 x 35.3147 = 59.65 CFT
We know that, the Density of sand = 1920 kg/m³
Weight of sand = 1.68912 x 1920 = 3243.11 kg
Step 5:- To find out the quantity of water required for cement sand mixture
The Quantity of water equals to 20% Total Dry material (cement & sand)
Quantity of water = 0.20 x (Weight of cement + Weight of sand )
Therefore, Quantity of water = 0.20 x (608.083 + 3243.11 ) = 770.23 kg = 770.23 Liters
NOTE: 100 Square meter is a huge area just for calculation purpose we assume that.
In this way, you can calculate the required quantity of cement sand for plastering the walls, ceilings.
You may also love to read: Methods to find out Quantities of Materials in Estimation
Join our Facebook group if you have any confusion: Engineering Knowledge
Sharing is caring. 😊😊