This article is on the Classification of Bricks Based on Quality. In this article, you will learn about the different classes of bricks with important characteristics/properties.
This article will be helpful and informative for civil engineers and civil engineering students.
You may also love to read: 10 quality of bricks used in building construction
1. First Class brick
First-class brick is mainly used for load-bearing walls
Characteristics of first-class brick are as follows:
- Color: Uniform dark red color
- Size and Shape: Should have a standard size and have a smooth surface free from
cracks and should have sharp edges
- Soundness: When two bricks stuck together, they should give metallic sound.
- Hardness: It should be hard that it could not be scratched by fingernails.
- Porosity: It should not absorb water more than 15 % of its dry weight when immerse-
in water for 24 hrs
- Strength: Minimum crossing strength should not be less than 140 kg/cm2
- Water absorption should be less than 15 % of its dry weight.
- Durability: Should be able to resist the effects of weathering agencies like temperature variations, rain, frost action, etc.
- Efflorescence: Should not contain alkaline salts which may cause efflorescence
on its surface and decay the bricks.
2. Second Class Brick
Second class bricks are not suitable for the load-bearing walls for more than two-story buildings.
Characteristics of second class brick are as follows:
- It should not absorb water more than 20% to 22% of its dry weight when immersed in water for 24 hrs.
- The compressive strength of second class bricks is between 70 to 140 kg/cm2.
- Medium red in color.
- The shape and size are good.
- These bricks are burnt well.
3. Third Class Brick
The third class of bricks is generally used for temporary works.
Characteristics of third class brick are as follows:
- It should not absorb water more than 22% to 25% of its dry weight when immersed in water for 24 hrs.
- The compressive strength of third class bricks is between 35 to 70 kg/cm2.
- Light red in color.
- The shape and size are poor
- These bricks are not burnt well and weak.
You may also searching for: Properties of Bricks
Join our Facebook group:
Share this article with friends because
Sharing is caring. ??